Our vision is to extend our leadership in the recycling market in NZ with our award winning environmentally sustainable solutions.
- We pride ourselves in our socially responsible approach, and how our environmentally friendly business foundation contributes strongly towards a more sustainable future.
- We are committed to continuously improving our environmental protection standards, by working smarter, cleaner and making use of technology innovation whenever we can.
- We work with communities and the public to jointly develop and enhance environmental awareness, best practices and sustainable processes.
- We have monitoring, auditable electronic recording systems, and processes necessary to ensure we are meeting all our regulatory and community obligations.
- We have appropriate accreditations for all our processing and disposal activities.
- We are always looking for ways to improve and innovate, so we can set even higher standards
Throughout our 40 years of operations, we have been committed to minimising the impact of our operations on the environment by maintaining the highest possible standards in all aspects of hazardous waste transport and disposal. We work hard to not only meet but exceed our obligations with all EPA policies.
We have monitoring, systems and processes necessary to ensure we are meeting all our regulatory and community obligations. We have accreditations for all our processing and disposal activities.
As the pioneers and innovators for over 40 years, we carry that “DNA” in our continuous improvement journey. We are always looking for ways to improve and innovate, so we can set even higher standards.
We strive to reduce our environmental impact and that includes our use of water for our processing plant. The water recovered from our oil waste is processed in our innovative ‘Bubble Jet’ Machine.
This device reconverts the vaporised water back into liquid form and runs through several sand filters to improve water quality. This plant is also fitted with spill and overrun protection.
The high-quality recycled water is used in our vacuum tankers and general housekeeping (e.g. washing trucks). When combined with rainwater taken from the large roof areas on site, this has led to a reduction of fresh water taken from the mains by more than 80%.
The water quality from our plant is consistently of such high standard that Watercare and Auckland Council have reduced their requirements for water testing from quarterly to annually, and Auckland Council has allowed a consented direct discharge of the plant water. In addition to this mandatory testing, Salters undertake quarterly water testing with an independent testing agent to ensure water quality is consistently maintained. IWS Eco-Monitoring Limited (quarterly).
Our experienced and competent staff are one of the cornerstones of the company’s commitment to the environment. We are committed to safety, health and wellbeing of every person who works for and with us.
We recognise our worksite, and those of many of our customers, are high hazard work environments. Ensuring we the highest safety performance is critical and non-negotiable. We employ people who share our commitment to, and who are constantly mindful of health safety and wellbeing across the range of customers we service.
Salters partnered with IMPAC in 2016 to deliver the most effective Health & Safety to our business. This robust framework and partnership allows us to focus on operational HSE policies and procedures, and keep our staff informed and aligned with our strategies, leadership, planning, objectives and targets.